In one of the most tightly contested and entertaining games of the young NHL season, the Los Angeles Kings took on the Detroit Red Wings. As both teams battled for position in a very even first period, it was the Kings who struck first blood with a goal from Alec Martinez. The lead would not last long however as Dylan Larkin scored less than two minutes later to tie things up at 1-1.
From there, it was an all out battle as both teams went back and forth looking for that all important next goal. The game would eventually head to overtime where Drew Doughty played hero, scoring the game winner to give the Kings a much needed 2-1 victory.
1. A History of the Kings-Red Wings Rivalry
The Kings–Red Wings rivalry is a historic ice hockey rivalry between the Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings. The two teams have been bitter rivals since their inception in 1967, when the Kings entered the NHL as an expansion team.
The animosity between the two clubs was immediate and intense. The first ever game between the Kings and Red Wings was played on October 14, 1967, just three weeks after the Kings’ inaugural game. It was a hard-fought battle that ended in a 5-2 win for Detroit.
This set the tone for what would become one of the most heated rivalries in all of professional sports. Over the years, there have been many memorable moments between these two clubs. In 1993, with both teams battling for first place in their respective divisions, tempers boiled over during a game at The Forum in Inglewood, California. A massive brawl ensued that saw nine players ejected from the game and several punches thrown.
In 2012, with both teams once again fighting for playoff positioning, they met in an epic seven-game playoff series that saw four overtime games and multiple lead changes throughout. In 2014, they met again in another Seven-game series which featured another come from behind victory by Los Angeles en route to their second Stanley Cup championship..
2. The Top 5 Moments from Kings-Red Wings Battles
- The Miracle on Manchester: In 1982, the Kings were trailing the Red Wings by a goal with less than five minutes remaining in Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals. But then, captain Dave Taylor scored to tie the game, and Steve Bozek tallied the game-winner with just seconds left on the clock. The come-from-behind victory is considered one of the greatest moments in Kings history.
- Luc Robitaille’s OT Winner: In 1993, future Hall of Famer Luc Robitaille scored an overtime winner in Game 5 of a first-round playoff series between the Kings and Red Wings. The goal helped Los Angeles rally from a two games to none deficit and eventually win the series in seven games.
- Playoff Payback: In 2001, after being swept by Detroit in round one of playoffs year prior, Los Angeles exacted revenge by eliminating Detroit en route to their first Stanley Cup Final appearance since 1993 (losing to New Jersey). Goaltender Felix Potvin was instrumental for LA during that playoff run – including when he made this diving glove save late in Game 4 against Detroit that helped seal a 3-2 victory and series sweep for Los Angeles:
- 2002 Western Conference Semifinals Game 6 at Staples Center – “We Win Tonight”: This was another pivotal moment in Robitaille’s career – and perhaps his most iconic as a King.
- 2014 Stadium Series at Dodger Stadium – “The Brawl”: Oneof the most recent defining moments between these two teams occurredduring an outdoor game at Dodger Stadium in 2014– appropriately nicknamed “The Brawl” due to both teams empty benches and several fights thatbroke out.
3. Previewing the Upcoming Kings-Red Wings Game
The Los Angeles Kings are set to take on the Detroit Red Wings in an upcoming game. Here is a preview of what to expect:
The Los Angeles Kings are currently ranked higher than the Detroit Red Wings in the standings, but that does not mean that this will be an easy game for them. The Red Wings have been playing well lately and will be looking to take down the Kings. Both teams have strong offenses, so fans can expect a high-scoring affair. The Kings will need to be careful of Detroit’s power play, which has been converting at a high rate recently. If they can stay out of the penalty box, they should be able to come away with a victory.
4. Reasons Why You Should Be a Los Angeles Kings Fan
- The Los Angeles Kings are one of the most successful teams in the NHL, having won two Stanley Cups in the last five years.
- The Kings have a strong core of young players, including reigning MVP Anze Kopitar and rising star Tyler Toffoli.
- The Kings play an exciting brand of hockey that is entertaining to watch.
- The Kings have a passionate and loyal fan base that creates an electric atmosphere at home games at Staples Center.
- Being a Kings fan gives you a chance to be part of one of the best rivalries in hockey, as the team battles the Anaheim Ducks for supremacy in Southern California hockey.
5. How to Watch the Kings-Red Wings Game
To watch the Kings-Red Wings game, find a television or online broadcast on game day and tune in. The game will be broadcast on either NBC Sports Network or Fox Sports Detroit, depending on your location. If you want, watch it on NHL66, just click the above image to find the live streams.